Springbike is a local club whose purpose is to promote
enjoyable safe cycling for its members and community.
Springbike Bicycle Club - Box 9823
Springfield, Missouri 65801
Safe Riding - it’s part of our mission. Thousands of bicyclists are injured or killed on the road every year. We want all our members to be the safest they can be and this page is here for that purpose. We're going to be adding a section on riding etiquette too.
Download this .pdf file “EASY STEPS TO PROPERLY FIT A BICYCLE HELMET.” We thank Valerie Griffin of St. John's for this publication from St. John's Emergency Medical Services (originally from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.)
Ever been curious about Missouri State Law regarding bicycles? Well here’s a .pdf file for download compiled by the Missouri Bicycle Federation that includes all the appropriate State Regulations - print, cut in half, fold, and you have a small copy of the full text of Missouri bicycle-related laws. (The MoBikeFed page is here.) Some very common issues included in the rules...
307.190. Riding to right, required for bicycles and motorized bicycles. Every person operating a bicycle or motorized bicycle at less than the posted speed or slower than the flow of traffic upon a street or highway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as safe, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction, except when making a left turn, when avoiding hazardous conditions, when the lane is too narrow to share with another vehicle or when on a one-way street. Bicyclists may ride abreast when not impeding other vehicles.
304.285. Red light violations Any person operating a motorcycle or bicycle who violates the provisions of section 304.281 or section 304.301 by entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal against a red light shall have an affirmative defense to that charge if the person establishes all of the following conditions: (1) The motorcycle or bicycle has been brought to a complete stop; (2) The traffic control signal continues to show a red light for an unreasonable time; (3) The traffic control is apparently malfunctioning or, if programmed or engineered to change to a green light only after detecting the approach of a motor vehicle, the signal has apparently failed to detect the arrival of the motorcycle; and (4) No motor vehicle or person is approaching on the street or highway to be crossed or entered or is so far away from the intersection that it does not constitute an immediate hazard. The affirmative defense of this section applies only to a violation for entering or crossing an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal against a red light and does not provide a defense to any other civil or criminal action.
A worldwide bicycle accident survey is being conducted by the New York Cycle Club, a 1,600+ member organization, located in New York City. The results will be published as part of a cycling risk assessment study that will be made freely available to the public at the conclusion of the survey. It is for education and advocacy purposes. The survey contains dozens of data points and its design is streamlined to have folks get through the survey as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Here is the link.
According to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, from 1996 to 2002 there were 78,724 bicycle injuries in Missouri alone, constituting nearly 12% of all roadway injuries Dr. Greg Luttrell, P.E., Assistant Professor Civil Engineering at Southern Illinois University (a renowned traffic engineer and avid cyclist) is currently working to research in this area of bicycle injuries. Luttrell has found that about 10% of bicycle crashes are with a motor vehicle and the other 90% are “bike only.” So it's more than just watching out for cars.
Add a favorite of mine: